Users’ needs are constantly evolving and to keep up with the changing needs, Facebook is always working hard to roll out more updated and new features as well as removing outdated ones. Sometimes it’s difficult to keep with the changes or know what new feature has been introduced. To help you keep up to date, here are the top Facebook updates and changes in 2017.
1. Retiring uncommon boosted posts. Boosting posts is an easy and quick way of getting a lot of content exposure. Businesses and individuals have been able to boost posts such as life events, notes, friend-versaries, relationship status and even get Facebook video views etc. However, advertisers rarely promote such types of posts and even if they do the results were not strong. In order to help you meet your advertising goals and get more users engaged, Facebook is now removing rarely used or less engaging types of boosts. This is really important if you have a Facebook video and want more views.
• Shares of products from shops
• Check-ins on maps, cities and restaurants
• Note and poll sharing
• Place recommendations
• Comments and Cultural moment shares
• Profile picture and file uploads changes
• Sports events
• Photos and Videos that are uploaded through Facebook camera
• Facebook Video views playlist shares
• Posts that are related to attending an event
• Political endorsements
• The status of watching a movie, television show or any other type of programming
2. New Camera One of the latest Facebook features, New Camera lets you send photos and videos to your individual friends. You can add a story or make a post and in addition to making GIFs, you can now live stream straight from the camera’s screen. This social media platform has also introduced colorful text posts from the camera and although they do not involve videos or photos, you will be able to make them in a portrait that is shareable anywhere e.g. on Instagram, Twitter etc.
3. New open eco-system for AI Frameworks Facebook partnered with Microsoft and together they have introduced an Open Neutral Network Exchange format (ONNX), a standard that is used to represent deep learning models & enables the models to be transferred between different frameworks. With so many AI frameworks tools currently available, ONNX makes it easier for developers to choose & combine tools which work best with their projects. ONNX at Facebook works to bring together the different worlds of AI research & products.
4. New controls & capabilities for content marketers As an advertiser or marketer, when you partner with trusted content creators and influencers you will be able to get more options of getting your product to your target audience. To enhance the current feature that helps you to link easily with influencers, Facebook has introduced 2 new features;
• Boost posts by using other creators You don’t have to post or share content from other creators in order to boost & share the content with your audience. You can now do it directly. Creators you have partnered with can create content & add the “allow business partner to boost post” feature. This will give you the permission to boost the post directly on your timeline. Your audience will not only see the content that you have boosted, but also where it came from.
• You can control where you appear in branded content tags As a content marketer, you can now be able to control where other content creators you are partnering with tag you.
5. In-stream Facebook video views placements Updates Video ads usually offer the best way to grab the attention of people using this platform. They are the most targeted mode of advertisement and you can be sure that the right people will see your ad in time. Previously, these short clips used to appear in the newsfeed or as an in-stream in a video. Facebook has now given video-advertisers more control over where these ads can appear. This means that you can use in-stream video ads on Facebook platform, on an Audience-Network or in both. This helps advertisers to target more people with their ads and get more exposure because the publisher creating the video content already has a target audience for their videos.